Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Chinese Press Coverage

For the last two weeks I have been in China, attending the 28th General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union. I was invited to give one of four "Invited Discourses" at that meeting, on the topic of "A Zoo of Galaxies". The powerpoint slides of my talk are available online. The talk was recorded and I'm told will be made available online, but I don't think that's happened yet.

 An abstract of my talk (and a picture of me and one of my favourite galaxies) appeared on the front page of the first edition of "Inquiries of Heaven" (the IAU Daily Newspaper for the meeting).


(PS. The image caption should say "Former winner of IAU Fellowship" since I won it in 2008, and there have been 4 more winners since me!). 

The talk also attracted some coverage in the Chinese press.

Xinhua (sort of the Chinese version of Reuters) covered it here: Astronomy Project Hunts for Chinese Helpers, (or the Chinese version); since this a news feed it got picked up by a variety of Chinese newspapers.

I was interviewed for "Amateur Astronomer" (a Chinese astronomy magazine). Here's the first page of the article they sent me.



And a photo they took of me right after giving my talk when they gave me the previous edition of the magazine.


I also talked with someone from Southern Weekly (a Chinese newspaper with a readership of 8 million), who published this article (in Chinese). 



And I talked with people from China Radio International, who said they planned to run the story, but I'm not sure what came of that yet. They recorded me saying "Xin Xi Zong Dong Yuan" (our Chinese translation of "Galaxy Zoo"), and explaining (in English) what Galaxy Zoo is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment